What Is Spray Polyurethane Foam?
Spray polyurethane foam (SPF) is a spray-applied plastic that is formulated by mixing multiple chemicals. Once the mixture is sprayed, it immediately expands by 30-60 times its original volume to seal cracks and gaps and create a seamless barrier against both water and air. SPF is a popular insulation choice for roofs and other interiors: crawl spaces, walls, even storage tanks.
There are three main types of SPF:
- High Density: Often used to insulate the roof space or exterior of buildings, high-density SPF, as its name implies, is heavier and denser than other options. It does not expand as much as the other choices, meaning you need more of it to cover any given area, however it is extremely energy-efficient and offers excellent protection due to its dense nature.
- Medium Density: Medium-density SPF is usually installed in interior wall cavities. A closed-cell spray foam, it is prized for its high R-value insulation per inch. It provides excellent protection against air, vapor, and water infiltration.
- Low Density: Low-density SPF is also a popular choice for interior walls and unvented attics. An open-cell formula, it only weighs about half a pound per cubic foot and remains relatively soft and flexible even after curing. It is an effective barrier against air infiltration, but not vapor or water.
Why Choose Spray Polyurethane Foam?
When it comes to commercial buildings, pray polyurethane foam is an attractive alternative to traditional insulation materials such as fiberglass, for many reasons:
- Long-lasting: Multiple studies have shown that SPF roofs will last several decades if properly maintained. Interior applications can last much longer.
- Waterproof: SPF creates a seamless, monolithic barrier to air and even water and vapors.
- Durable: SPF provides superior wind resistance through strong adhesion properties.
- Weather resistant
- Lightweight: Open-cell SPF can weigh as little as .5 lbs/cubic foot.
- Reinforces building structure
- Exceptional insulation value of up to R-6.5 per inch
- Increases energy efficiency: Studies by the US Department of Energy show that 40% of a home’s energy is lost as the result of air infiltration through walls, windows and doorways. Buildings treated with spray foam insulation insulate as much as 50% better than traditional insulation products.
- Offers energy savings: Up to 30% yearly A/C cost savings
- Provides a sound barrier by limiting sound transmission from inside or outside
- Renewable – Can be recoated instead of replaced!
- Cost-efficient: SPF insulates at a rate that pays for itself in heating/cooling savings, usually within a few years.
- Protective: SPF can also protect against problems associated with moisture infiltration: mold, mildew, algae, rotting wood, etc.
Working With Frueh
Frueh Construction employs licensed, insured, trained spray polyurethane foam applicators. Our team members are experts at the proper installation of SPF, no matter the size or difficulty of the job.
Call us today to learn more about how we can improve your building’s performance and comfort, increase energy efficiency, and reduce air loss with our premier spray polyurethane foam applications – (701) 693-5765.